The 2009 edition researched how communicators help defining business strategies, budget developments after the economic crisis and upcoming trends in the communications sector. Other sections of the monitor covered measurement and evaluation of communications as well as the usage of social networks. The European Communication Monitor 2009 is based on responses from 1,863 communication professionals in 34 European countries. Detailed analyses for the largest study on strategic communication and public relations (PR) worldwide are available for 20 countries and different types of organisations (companies, non-profits, governmental, agencies).
- Missing link: 6 out of 10 communicators help defining business strategies
- Budgets: major cuts ahead, but most respondents are still optimistic
- Trends: Internal communication and social networks are on the rise
- Evaluation: many measure neither investments nor business impacts
- Social networks: 85% of European PR professionals are members
- Salary correlates with role enactment: strategic facilitators are leading