The survey in 2011 captured topics like CEO reporting and decision making, the credibility of public relations, ROI of communication, social media governance as well as qualifications in communications. Furthermore, it demonstrates strategic issues relevant for the future of the communication profession. The European Communication Monitor 2011 is based on responses from 2,209 communication professionals in 43 countries. Detailed analyses for the largest study on strategic communication and public relations (PR) worldwide are available for 20 countries and different types of organisations (companies, non-profits, governmental, agencies).
- Communication departments: 60% report directly to the CEO
- Decision making: European professionals are risk-averse, compared to the United States
- Credibility of public relations: 42% say that the term ‘PR’ is discredited
- ROI of communication: Many use the term, but basic knowledge is missing
- Social Media Governance: structures and skills are underdeveloped
- Qualifications: large gap between training needs and programmes offered
- Salaries: More have entered the top ranks, low-paid cluster is also growing